View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 06:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
abgator

Whatever your decision, don't let someone bully you into something you're not yet comfortable with. The experience could turn you off from getting a sponsor for a long time if you just rush into it and get someone you don't click with.

I attended a new meeting on Friday night and someone basically bum rushed me after the meeting and started insisting I get a sponsor immediately. I told him I'm attending several different meetings and seeing which one I'm most comfortable with and I'll make that my Home group. Or maybe my home group is determined by a sponsor I feel I would click with.

I met one tonight. When I heard him share, it was like listening to myself. Hyper rational, logical, doesn't let feelings out easy, and is not a Christian. Though he told me to call him any time, as a University Professor, he doesn't have the time right now to dedicate himself to be a good sponsor. One of the other members pointing me in his direction because they knew I wanted someone who wasn't a devout religious person. So I'll ask around at other meetings if any of the sponsors are people who lean agnostic or use some Higher Power that isn't the text book "God" that most AA people use.

But I won't just take any old sponsor if I think our personalities are going to clash and I won't let someone who doesn't even know me force me into something I don't like. Some AA members can be overly zealous and thus abrasive.

I say go at your own pace and if that's baby steps, so be it.