View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 02:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

AA is not a mutual admiration society. We are going to meet people we don't like and hear opinions we don't like. People have feet of clay and for sure we never can know exactly what is going on with them at times. How often I have looked at someone and thought what they should do, how they should act. Incredibly arrogant of me considering I have never walked even a yard in their shoes.

We are in AA for just one primary purpose, to carry our message to the alcoholic who still suffers. Is this guy suffering? It sure sounds like it.

On the other hand our common welfare must come first, though personal welfare is a close second. Unity is vital yet often absent when these ugly situations arise - often the chair, merely a trusted servant trying to do a job, is hung out to dry by the group or even criticized if he tries to keep the meeting running according to the format the group has given him-or her.

We also have to think of the new person in the room, is the disruption going to prevent them hearing the message. Then of course AA has no opinion on outside issues, so if the group wants to prohibit the expression of certain views some members disagree with, it would be delving into areas well outside our tradition.

My sponsor told me one time he used to be horrified at some of the things that came out of my mouth.

Maybe pages 66 and 67 have an answer, maybe we ask God what He would have us do in such a situation. "Just to the extent that we do as we think He would have us, and humbly rely on Him, does He enable us to match calamity with serenity."

I am uncomfortable with the idea of tolerating an individual, it has a certain arrogance about it like it implies I am somehow superior to the person I am tolerating.

The guy has a right to be there. Members squabble all the time, sometimes it can even get violent. My job? Well sometimes I may be able to help bring a little peace, but mainly it is to look out for the new guy and try to ensure he/she gets to hear our message of hope regardless of what else is going on.