Thread: Why not?!
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sohard

Originally Posted by Cosima11 View Post
Yeah I also had a huge disagreement with my mom and sister over the holidays and it was rough. I thought I was past the dramatic family soap opera episodes but that hasn't been the case.

Just breathe through it, do something else to pamper yourself.. Limit family time in the future if necessary. You'll be ok!
thank you. So bizarre how hearing “you’ll be okay” from a stranger helps. You wouldn’t think it would, but it does. It was such a stupid argument. But it was 2 against 1 (me losing) and I just felt screwed over. I got a rescue dog (my first dog ever) one week after getting sober 245 days ago. She’s become such a very important part of my sobriety. Every time I look at her, I think no way can I drink, I need to be a super dog mom. She gets an hour walk a day, day care until her separation anxiety hopefully resolves, and constant love. Never having had a pet, I never realized that you actually LOVE them (like you love people!). I know, now I sound like a weird dog person. I guess maybe I am now. Anyway, my dog wasn’t allowed at my sister’s over Christmas (despite the fact she has 2 dogs and a cat herself, so a pet friendly household) and isn’t allowed period going forward. I was just informed that the promise that she would be allowed over MLK weekend, since it’s only a three day holiday, has been reneged. I’m supposed to shove her in boarding again. So, forgetting about all the money I spend when I need to board her for thanksgiving, Christmas, etc., it just sucks that my pup’s importance to me is so disregarded. For god sakes, there is no valid reason to say no to this (she’s met my sister’s pets and they got along swimmingly). Anyway, It would be so nice to have my dog with me when everyone else (my sister, brother-in-law, mom, etc.) are downing their wine. It would be such a support. But they act like I’m a child with a teddy bear. I just don’t think that’s fair (great, now I sound like a child talking about fairness, as if life is fair). It just is so disappointing. I’ve tried to do something really life changing here. And damn hard. I’ve quit drinking after 20 years of it. That’s pretty damn hard. It’s like, just throw me a bone and let me bring my flipping 23 pound dog when I truck home for the holidays. I really just think a little consideration/support would be nice. It is just the principle of the matter. Anyway. Sorry to vent.