Thread: First AA
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 04:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by Mary88 View Post
Thank you, Sharon. That is very helpful. So it probably takes time and I just need to have patience. Yes, I am willing to try anything to stay sober. I won't give up on the meetings just yet.
​​​​​
Hi Mary- I think you are onto something here. And I hear you circling back to wanting connection even tho it feels awkward now. I love this from aasharon's first post:

[BBefore you know it there is a change that happens
within us that is hard to explain. emotions fill us up
and believe me, it, im sure can be felt thru out the
room by others.][/B]

I found this to be true. AA was weird and awkward and such to me at first, and I am very outgoing. I didn't want people up in my personal space. I sat by the door, end of the aisle, in the big meeting room a lot of newcomers attend. Easy to pop out of

But I kept going back. I also heard someone say "look for the people who have what you want" which was some of the best advice I got early on. Lots of people obviously did have friends, chatted and laughed, and also talked about what the program had done to change their lives. I wanted that, and still do.

I can also tell you that those of us who go to any meeting regular DO notice new people and want to make them feel welcome. We aren't perfect and no one has a good day every day or wants to be a friend and engage...but enough do, enough of the time, that the community keeps running.