Thread: Oh Well Part 3
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Obladi
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
If a Person wants any remote chance of stepping up on the Dais at an Olympics, they develop Muscle Memory relentlessly. 'Feeling' like it or not.
Yep. Whatever it takes. The question is what is the "it" for you? I don't mean the literal you, but the generic you because of course it varies.

It is entirely possible to compartmentalize Never Drinking Again into that Lockbox of 'things I just don't do'.
I've got fledgling thoughts on that, but they are only just hatching. Please stand by until I get them out of the warmer. Has to do with... the other examples you cited are concerned with harming others whereas abuse of substances primarily harms the abuser. Or so it may seem.

2 exceptions: Mental Illness, or Dual Diagnosis.
Not following? Is this a complete thought or did I chop it up incorrectly?

Including my former Neighbor Joe Cocker with whom we had Dinner.
Shameless namedropping!! What did he have? Who paid?

Me, I can't imagine waking up and rehashing my 'choice' of Sobriety daily ODAAT. Exhausting. So, I don't. I 'get' what GT imaged up-thread.
That's what I meant when I said (maybe you hadn't joined us yet) that it could be entirely semantics. GT's Big Plan is equivalent to "I never Now drink" which is equivalent to "I Never Drink Today." It's not a decision you make every day. It's just irrelevant every day until is IS today. Anyhow, that's the working theory. More to come in my master treatise.

Your Employer will survive if you don't wake up tomorrow.
I've never doubted that. Well, at least not since I learned several decades ago that being indispensable is a crock. The part I have never been able to shake due to lack of esteem and/or self-comprehension or some combination thereof is that I may not survive without this job (whatever this job happens to be at the current time). Which is entirely irrational because I am very good at what I do, but also explains why I was at my last place for 20 years and have been at this one for close to 15. The only reason I left the last one is they literally closed the department. I even hung in there on the life support crew for the sunsetting computer system when there was literally nothing to do.

One of this week's revelations/freedoms is that there's something seriously awry at work that needs to be confronted, but none of that is so important that I should flip out about it. Or at the very least, if I'm going to flip out, I absolutely (Absolut-ly, ha!) cannot land in a bottle.