View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 03:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
NoMoBeer

Taiman,
Thanks so much for your reply -- those ARE some scary statistics, eh? I do think much of that (those stats have changed since the beginnings of AA) is do to many of the AA meetings out there becoming "watered down..." Meaning, if we follow the Big Book precisely, we'd have a much higher success rate. Unfortunately, some AA meetings turn into a counseling session -- certainly not the intention meant by its forerathers. 'Nother thread for that debate, I'm sure.

And to answer your honesty question -- I am really being honest when I say I truly don't know if I'll attend AA for the rest of my life. Really! I don't know if I may drink tomorrow, or even be alive tomorrow. I'd like to say that yes, I'd love to be sober the rest of my life -- but I really don't know how long that will be, or if AA will be in the picture.... I do know I'll never outgrow this disease, so I will do whatever I have to in order to keep it at bay...

You absolutely have a right to voice your opinion, I actually welcome outside views (I really do like to hear other philosophies, but I do stick to my AA program, there is SO MUCH out there, though, that complements what I'm doing on a daily basis, I'd be a fool not to listen). When you get close to the bashing and calling it a brainwashing (paraphrasing here!) -- just saying it doesn't work, well.... I'm going to take a stand there.

I don't know why it works for me, it just does. SMART works for others, Rational Recovery for others, and I'm sure standing on your head drinking water in you underwear works for someone else somewhere (I need to be careful, I may end up sponsoring that guy...) -- and yes, sadly there are people who nothing seems to work for, who die or suffer through their alcoholism.

Taiman, I think we've got to call a stale mate here, I'm happy you're sober, hope you're happy I'm sober..... let's call a truce...

Ken