Thread: I need help
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
michaelj
Michael

Edye,
Welcome to SR, you will find enormous support here as well as a huge amount of knowledge of all aspects of alcoholic addiction.
What I recommend you do is to be absolutely honest and open with your husband. You need all the support you can get if you are to become sober, starting on the path to sobriety whilst keeping things secret is almost certain to end in tears.
I was a secret drinker like you and I mistakenly thought that nobody had really noticed how much I was drinking. They notice all right, it is just that very few people are prepared to be honest with you. One day whilst I was drinking from my secret stash I had what some people call a moment of clarity. I saw my alcoholic addiction in all its awfulness and decided there and then to stop. I went to the lounge, sat down and told my wife all about my drinking and of my absolute intention to stop. It was as though a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders and the toughest part of quitting was behind me. My wife has never reproached me for my past drinking but has instead been truly supportive and kindness itself.
I reckon that your husband will be just as supportive and that you will feel just as unburdened if you start out by being fearlessly frank and open. You owe it to yourself and your family.
I wish you all the best
Michael