Thread: Loss of parent
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Delilah1

Originally Posted by PinnacleOR View Post
Hello, I just lost my mother and thought it would be good to post here. She was 92 years old and had fallen and broken her hip. She had complications from surgery, but really I think she felt ready to pass.

I’m in early sobriety, so I have an urge to drink and numb the loss. But I’m going to honor my mom’s life by staying sober.
Hi Pinnacle,

I’m so sorry for the loss of your mom, I know how difficult this is and I’m so glad you came here and posted.

I lost my dad almost ten years ago, and December 26th it will be one year since losing my mom. In the early days I was surrounded by people and we spent time looking at pictures and sharing stories, this helped, but I also needed some time alone, and I found going for a walk around the lake near my mom’s house to be helpful. It was always a place I loved, and I felt a sense of peace there. You will be very emotional, let yourself feel those emotions, alcohol would only numb you, and it is important to let yourself feel.

Before leaving my mom’s house I took a few of her sweaters, and I wear these often. They are big and worn, but I can almost feel her around me when I have them on. I keep one in my office, and have the others here.

Please check in here often for support as you say your final goodbyes to your mom. Your memories of her, and the love she had for you will live on inside of you.

Sending you so much love and I will be thinking about you.

❤️Delilah