Notices

Loss of parent

Old 12-02-2019, 10:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Loss of parent

Hello, I just lost my mother and thought it would be good to post here. She was 92 years old and had fallen and broken her hip. She had complications from surgery, but really I think she felt ready to pass.

I’m in early sobriety, so I have an urge to drink and numb the loss. But I’m going to honor my mom’s life by staying sober.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your loss Pinnacle.
I think honouring her memory by staying sober is a brilliant thing to do tho

D
Old 12-02-2019, 11:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. Loss is so final and painful. We are never ever prepared for it.

Well done with your resolve not to drink and to honour your Mums memory.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss but commend you on sticking to sobriety to honor her.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Please accept my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your mother. It's a testament of your love to honour her life by staying sober!
Old 12-03-2019, 12:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My mother died one year ago at this time of year. She also broke hip, but she was an alcoholic, which is what really killed her in the end. I drank to cope or I just used her death as an excuse to drink. Don't remember what I did at all last Christmas season. I was drunk for weeks. Silly way to honour my mother's memory.....
Old 12-03-2019, 12:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinnacleOR View Post
But I’m going to honor my mom’s life by staying sober.
Hi Pinnacle, condolences on your mum’s passing. It didn’t sound the
Old 12-03-2019, 01:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

But I’m going to honor my mom’s life by staying sober.
Hi Pinnacle, condolences on your mum’s passing. It didn’t sound the most pleasant final few months for her with the falling, but 92 is a very good age. My dad died in August. He’d have been heartbroken to see what a drinker I was and would’ve been in a state of constant worry. Admittedly I was a little further ahead in my sobriety (eight months), but I didn’t feel the need to drink to mourn or celebrate his life. He definitely wouldn’t have wanted that. Your mum will want the same for you. Good luck in the coming weeks and condolences again.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I’m really practicing being ok with my thoughts, observing them and letting myself feel. Thoughts and emotions won’t kill me, but alcohol surely will.

Perhaps bad timing or karma, but I’d actually scheduled with my vet to help my old dog cross the rainbow bridge this weekend.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello, I just lost my mother and thought it would be good to post here. She was 92 years old and had fallen and broken her hip. She had complications from surgery, but really I think she felt ready to pass.

I’m in early sobriety, so I have an urge to drink and numb the loss. But I’m going to honor my mom’s life by staying sober.
Well done for staying sober pinnacle
My mother died at a similar time last year aged 92 after falling and breaking her hip. She had alzheimers and I think it was her time to go and join my father.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Perhaps bad timing or karma, but I’d actually scheduled with my vet to help my old dog cross the rainbow bridge this weekend.
Did your mother like dogs? Who knows, maybe she can help your dog to cross the bridge too.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your time of loss. Your dedication to remaining sober is wonderful and so very important during the recovery journey. It's so key to be able to learn new coping skills when experiencing a loss. ((hugs))
Old 12-03-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Please accept my sincerest condolences on losing your mother. The anniversary of my own mother’s passing is coming up on the 12th and although it’ll be 23 years it is still a difficult time for me. Drinking never changes the pain. I’m very sorry about your dog too. I’ve been there also. Being sober really is the only way to be there for any of it so well done on getting through all of this.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Pinnacle,

I’m so sorry for the loss of your mom, I know how difficult this is and I’m so glad you came here and posted.

I lost my dad almost ten years ago, and December 26th it will be one year since losing my mom. In the early days I was surrounded by people and we spent time looking at pictures and sharing stories, this helped, but I also needed some time alone, and I found going for a walk around the lake near my mom’s house to be helpful. It was always a place I loved, and I felt a sense of peace there. You will be very emotional, let yourself feel those emotions, alcohol would only numb you, and it is important to let yourself feel.

Before leaving my mom’s house I took a few of her sweaters, and I wear these often. They are big and worn, but I can almost feel her around me when I have them on. I keep one in my office, and have the others here.

Please check in here often for support as you say your final goodbyes to your mom. Your memories of her, and the love she had for you will live on inside of you.

Sending you so much love and I will be thinking about you.

❤️Delilah
Old 12-03-2019, 08:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So Sorry for your loss.
I think staying sober is very noble as drinknig will not change a damn thing!

I was in an AA meeting last week and this woman my age, lost her 7-year-old nephew that was like a son to her, she remains sober. Through the strength of that little boy and how he encouraged her to be sober, it was amazing to see the strength she had to do what she set out to do even after something so tragic.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Pinnacle,

My mother died recently (September 30th). I got sober one month to the day of her passing, for which I am so very grateful.

I've found that the grief can be intense and challenging. I'm finding it also opens up... opportunities in a way, though that isn't maybe quite the right word. If a big grief 'breaks' the heart, and grief is definitely a natural part of the life experience, maybe these experiences are actually an opportunity or invitation, even a gift, an opportunity for Life to create an opening in hearts that, in this world, so often learn to harden and clench out of habituated protection.

There is a poem that I now keep posted that has helped me. Maybe it will resonate and offer comfort to you, as well:

There is a brokenness
out of which comes the unbroken,
a shatteredness
out of which blooms the unshatterable.
There is a sorrow
beyond all grief which leads to joy
and a fragility
out of whose depths emerges strength.
There is a hollow space too vast for words
through which we pass with each loss,
out of whose darkness we are sanctified into being.
There is a cry deeper than all sound
whose serrated edges cut the heart
as we break open
to the place inside which is unbreakable
and whole
while learning to sing
Old 12-03-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
My mother died one year ago at this time of year. She also broke hip, but she was an alcoholic, which is what really killed her in the end. I drank to cope or I just used her death as an excuse to drink. Don't remember what I did at all last Christmas season. I was drunk for weeks. Silly way to honour my mother's memory.....
Thanks for sharing Wastinglife. I know my mom drank and I witnessed her blacked out drunk a few times. I don’t think she was alcoholic though. Still, it definitely runs on her side of the family.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by harriet11 View Post
Did your mother like dogs? Who knows, maybe she can help your dog to cross the bridge too.
Yes she did. I thought about them being together in heaven.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My emotions have been all over the place today. I went to a noon AA meeting and sobbed most of the time, but sharing was great. Got lots of hugs afterward and some wise words from a chaplain. Also leaned on many good friends and family. I do there is growth from the darkness.