View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 01:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

A couple of AA program quotes from the book:

Dating or not dating (my words) -" we simply do not stop drinking so long as we place dependence upon other people ahead of dependence on God. Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone."

"We want to stay out of this controversy. We do not want to be the arbiter of anyone's sex conduct."

What that says is that dating or not is irrelevant to your recovery and AA does not wish to make any recommendations on the matter. It is your business and nobody elses.

I was a willing victim of a serial predator in AA very early in sobriety, jumped in deeper than any sane person would have done, could not believe my luck. It all turned to custard, in one sense a disastrous relationship, in another the most valuable experience of my recovery.

It was never a threat to my sobriety because I never lost sight of the fact that I was aiming to place my dependence on God, and lovely though she was, the lady was not God.

There is nothing wrong with having a bit of fun, in fact the book also says this:

" While you were drinking, you were withdrawing from life little by little. Now you are getting back into the social life of this world. Don't start to withdraw again just because your friends drink liquor."