View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 09:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
pedagogue

B'wench makes a great point about some of the 'numbing' side effects that are often brought up with certain meds, specifically some mood stabilizers, anti-psychotics, stimulants (especially when treating ADHD), etc. This is often a reason why people stop taking meds because they don't want to feel like they are going through the day in a haze. Though, the alternative can be worse.

The unresolved feelings/thoughts/issues cannot be treated with meds, and like you alluded to.....they will just fester if they are not addressed. This is my main arguement against people who try to treat PTSD with meds (or alcohol/drugs/etc). In the short term it might help with their sleep, and reign in the feelings, but it still doesn't solve the problem.

Many times when feelings come back, it is your mind's way of processing them on a more conscious level. It can be scary, but it also gives you the opportunity to slowly work through the demons. I am a strong advocate for professional help during the process, which shouldn't include meds that 'zonk' a person out.

Ironically, for as much as I come across as pro-meds....I am very much not a fan of them in many cases. I just think people embrace them too easily and often because it seems like an easier solution than going into therapy or other alternatives.

-p