Old 11-16-2019, 03:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rose335

I couldn't put it better than Carl above although these are relatively early days for me (just over 5 months). But I also definitely finally saw, with an absolute moment of clarity, just how I drank and how it was always going to be and that gave me the impetus to stop. Never, ever one glass for me and by the end of the evening no real joy gained from drinking at all. Ironically, the only glass of wine I ever really enjoyed in my drinking days was the first one of the evening: if there'd been any chance I could stop after that one glass I might have continued drinking. But there wasn't. Not ever. I have literally never had a single glass of wine in my drinking life. And I'm never going to so therefore I can't drink. Accepting that was key for me and then coming up with a (fairly simple) plan to change my life. So far it is working. And it's also true somewhat to my amazement that it doesn't feel like any kind of punishment.

And the quick answer is near to Kaily's. Before I gave up, I woke up every morning vowing not to drink. Then every afternoon at about 4 o'clock I headed for the off-licence. That went on for a very long time. Writing this makes me realise how glad I am that it is over.