Thread: The Pendulum
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grymt
All is Change

Control...

Some things lately have led me to further ponder the role of control in addiction.

When 'I' is weakened the response is to assert, establish, strengthen control. The habit may be to control something outside of self or it may be to control something inside. Exactly where inside and outside meets depends on the person. Someone may consider other people and things 'mine' and someone else may be satisfied with calling just the mind-body phenomenon 'mine'. Whatever it is, the attempt is to try to control something ephemeral, constantly changing, which seems like a lifelong job.

What about relinquishing control? Letting go. Relaxing.

It's probably easier to start with some external object. Something universally available that's also universally regarded as owned. (ironically something that can be said to not exist, fiat, based on faith.) - Money. Practicing letting go of money is beneficial to all. It may not seem so, initially, to the person letting go of it. But wait a few weeks. It won't be long before you never head in to town without some loose change in the pocket, gladly giving it to anyone asking for it or looking like they need it.

Ok. Having established an experiential knowing of the benefit of letting go, renunciation, what about something else. A loved one. A child leaving home, an elder passing away, a lover leaving. Not as easy.

So much harder to let go of control over self. Ones own mind-body phenomenon.

Nevertheless all these things are 'out of control'. The body gets old and sick. Children leave home. Someone says something and the sense of being in control (of the uncontrollable) is lost...