View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Lucinda2

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Lucy- the ACT stuff can be found in a (do not groan) a self-help book called 'The Happiness Trap' by Russ Harris. It is an easy read. I keep my battered copy in my backpack and get it out whenever I am waiting for appointments and stuff.
Phoenix, I have started reading this. To be honest I have not got very far and have only skimmed too. BUT, a couple of keywords resonated with me. Values and action. I was so stressed during drinking years that I found it hard to see the wood for the trees. Same when I initially quit drinking.

Now over 100 days (hurray) and I have turned my thoughts to values.

Value = be thankful. Action = pop into SR regularly and try to say something supportive to someone each day.

Value = life. I am self-employed and a workaholic so sometimes I forget to live a life. Action = giving myself every Wednesday morning off. Baby steps.

Meaning of life, universe and everything; My son. My adult son lives in Australia.

Key-value = family. Action = travel from UK to Australia to visit son (dual action as it also means taking time off of work). I wasn't due to go to Australia to visit until December 2020 but I have just booked a flight to go in 5 weeks time (whoop whoop).

I also value my independence and notice that I am becoming a little reliant on husband these days (which is nonsense because I functioned jolly well on my own before we met). So I am making this trip alone.

An interesting side effect of assessing these values and taking action is that I am suddenly sleeping better and physically I am starting to feel well again.

I may have totally misinterpreted the short amount of this book that I have only skimmed but I am feeling great!

Thank you very much.