First day of holiday bit of a struggle

Old 09-17-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Lucy- the ACT stuff can be found in a (do not groan) a self-help book called 'The Happiness Trap' by Russ Harris. It is an easy read. I keep my battered copy in my backpack and get it out whenever I am waiting for appointments and stuff.

I am glad you shared on SR....look at some of the newcomer threads, I joined Class of March '16 and still post there every other day and have friends (I consider them as such) from being in that thread. So maybe Class of September '19??

Whatever you do- keep posting and growing.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks, Phoenix! I just checked and there is a kindle version so have downloaded it. The toilet is my favourite place to read (but that is probably oversharing )

I wasn't sure what the class threads were about. Do we join the one for the month/year that we quit? I am glad you mentioned this because I was just thinking last night that I am going to miss this thread. So joining another and connecting with people sounds good.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Lucy, I joined the COM '16 thread in July of that year (I think). For me- it reflected a sobriety date, (which I got wrong because my brain was fried)...but many just join because of the month they see it- as a newbie. So Class of September '19?

There is also a check-in every 24h (I did this for a long time), Whiner's Anon (I post here a lot as well as my 'home thread'. Also a thread for Weekends (but not limited to just weekends) and a humorous thread 'the Lighter side' for jokes. People also have word puzzle threads....lots. Just go surfing and have a look. A good one to read, but does not allow sharing- is people's stories. You will find them all with trial and error, my tech skills are abysmal.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:29 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Cheers Phoenix - I have to own that I have not had a good look around this forum. I will poke about a bit and find my niches.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Lucy- the ACT stuff can be found in a (do not groan) a self-help book called 'The Happiness Trap' by Russ Harris. It is an easy read. I keep my battered copy in my backpack and get it out whenever I am waiting for appointments and stuff.
Phoenix, I have started reading this. To be honest I have not got very far and have only skimmed too. BUT, a couple of keywords resonated with me. Values and action. I was so stressed during drinking years that I found it hard to see the wood for the trees. Same when I initially quit drinking.

Now over 100 days (hurray) and I have turned my thoughts to values.

Value = be thankful. Action = pop into SR regularly and try to say something supportive to someone each day.

Value = life. I am self-employed and a workaholic so sometimes I forget to live a life. Action = giving myself every Wednesday morning off. Baby steps.

Meaning of life, universe and everything; My son. My adult son lives in Australia.

Key-value = family. Action = travel from UK to Australia to visit son (dual action as it also means taking time off of work). I wasn't due to go to Australia to visit until December 2020 but I have just booked a flight to go in 5 weeks time (whoop whoop).

I also value my independence and notice that I am becoming a little reliant on husband these days (which is nonsense because I functioned jolly well on my own before we met). So I am making this trip alone.

An interesting side effect of assessing these values and taking action is that I am suddenly sleeping better and physically I am starting to feel well again.

I may have totally misinterpreted the short amount of this book that I have only skimmed but I am feeling great!

Thank you very much.