View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sohard

Originally Posted by least View Post
Before I read thru this thread, I was going to reply that the first few months of my sobriety I was 'white-knuckling' it. Hanging on for dear life by my fingertips. Then I was advised to start practicing gratitude every day. At first it was hard, but I did it until it became a habit.

And it really changed my life for the better.

But yeah, I was white-knuckling it for a while and I wasn't feeling too wonderful about my sobriety. Now my sobriety is right up there with breathing - it's necessary for me in order to enjoy my life.
You’re right, Least. I understand all this. And I guess, metaphorically, I wouldn’t have a problem saying white-knuckling. Such a drastic change (getting sober) is super hard at first. Unbelievably hard, really. Program or no program, everyone getting sober is really metaphorically white knuckling. I too was, at first, hanging on for dear life. I guess my issue is more with “dry drunk” than “white knuckling”. I find “dry drunk” offensive and don’t believe (sorry, I’m allowed my beliefs) anyone states in current time that this is what they are.