Old 10-01-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DriGuy

I don't think alcohol was ever a cause of any of my breakups, but I suppose alcohol could have helped me do enough stupid things that would lead to a breakup. But the issue of alcohol itself never came up. I don't spend much time regretting break ups, which is odd because I do regret many other things about my past.

I think relationships at whatever level are just part of life where people and events swirl around us. In the process, we sometimes develop more permanent partnerships, some until we die, but I don't see the need for a script that says, this is what you must do, and this is how you should do it, and here is the desired outcome. Our whole life is a learning experience, and that's the good part about our lives.

Alcoholics in AA call this recovery. I call it personal growth, but neither of those may be an endpoint unless you stop the process and cling to something. Recovery and personal growth may just be part of the swirl, because in the process we expect changes in direction and to learn new things. And I think that's what we can get from our lives.

I may have just taught something about my own regrets of the past, and I think I need to meditate on this for awhile. See? It's happening right now as part of the swirl.