View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 01:23 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Pippo

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Inferior grade? Not sure what that means...

My point is simply that keeping the door open is well, keeping the door open. Which I guess I don't understand why you would want to do that when you also know this: If your life is already no great shakes, why would you add more negative stuff to it? The numbing is great yeah, but it comes at a price and over time the price will become very very high. Just trying to understand here.

I did the same as you except that I went 10 years sober and then drank again. Maybe your experience will be different, but mine did not end well. I wish I had sense enough not to go back, but we all do what we need to do. I'm not judging you or telling you what to do, just responding to your post the only way I know how, which is honestly.
Thank you for your honest opinion. It's very welcome, and I'm trying to glean from your experience.

Choosing to drink after 10 long years of remaining sober. That must have been intimidating. May I ask why you chose to drink at the time? Did you relapse in angst? Or was it a conscious decision, based on your perceived ability to moderate?

For me, the *potential* reason of going back, is that nothing else satisfies me as much. Atleast, I haven't found it yet.

I understand the price is high. As an alcoholic who cannot stop, I'd have to pay a premium too.

What exactly will happen at 365 days, is that I will literally document a cost-benefit analysis of both, remaining sober, and drinking again.

I don't understand why it has to be a foregone conclusion that I'll surely drink. There's still a long way to go, and I'm looking forward to my special day. Not because I can't wait to pick up. But because of what it would mean to me, as a milestone.

I'm only stopping myself from predicting the future. Isn't that sensible?

Have a nice one!