View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 12:39 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Pippo

Originally Posted by Rose335 View Post
Pippin - you've started a fascinating thread and it's been really interesting to read your thoughts and the responses of others. I haven't much to bring to the party. I'm only 3 months sober (this time) and the only difference between now and my other attempts at sobriety is that now I've realised that the way I drank didn't provide me with anything worth having, emotionally, intellectually, financially or socially and it certainly never 'solved' anything for me. Not even comfortably numb! Although I didn't necessarily realise any of that at the time.

When I was drinking I so much looked forward to that cold glass of wine at the end of the day (every day). I really felt I deserved it, was entitled to it and that I needed it to relax. And in fact that first glass was wonderful. And it always, always, always led to a bottle, at least. And that wasn't at all wonderful. Anything but. Night after night of broken sleep and morning after morning of remorse, self- hatred and feeling so rough.

I think, for me, the problem was and is that drinking seemed to offer so much and it seemed laughable (usually by mid afternoon each day) to believe that I wasn't capable of simply drinking a single glass if I bought a bottle of wine. Even though that never, ever happened. Not once. So I kept on buying and drinking the bottles.

So that's me. I can't drink single glasses, only bottles. And whatever the promise of that first drink, I never ever end up feeling good or better or happy.

You've gone 8 months without any alcohol. That's envy making and I would love to be saying that and hopefully I will sometime next year. It doesn't even sound like you are struggling more that you're feeling regretful for something you've left behind. My feeling is that if you feel drinking really gave you more than not drinking then I suspect it's game over when you get to year one. But because you've achieved so much I'd give that question really careful thought.

Thank you for posting. It was helpful for me to consider your perspective and to be prompted do a bit of analysis as to why I feel so fervently that I can't let alcohol back in my life.
Thank you. Glad my post could be of use.

I believe I've shared all I had in my mind regarding the subject of "never drinking again".

It's always nice to talk about these issues, and SR is my only outlet. Alcoholism is generally frowned upon where I'm situated, and people simply sweep conversations around it under the rug. AA has never really been my thing, I'm just very private I guess, particularly in this regard.

I'm the same way. A beer? Who goes to the store to buy just one? I always bought a six-pack of the strongest, cheapest garbage I could find. Not because I couldn't afford a superior brand, but simply because I was buying in bulk.

I switched to wine, thinking that would help me drink lesser. And it did, initially. One bottle a night was the norm. Then it become two. I've had nights when I've guzzled more than 3 bottles over a 12 hour period.

Yes, the morning after usually sucks. So does the embarrassment, if any. But those 12 hours, are...

Having said that, today I'm feeling more positive about my sobriety.

Folks here seem to think that it's a foregone conclusion that I'll drink when I hit 365 days. That's not true. I'm simply refraining from predicting the future at this point.

Have a nice day!