Thread: Sick of myself
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
I was doing well got to 2 weeks then thought i can be normal, had 2 glasses of wine on Thursday and thought amazing i am normal this is great then friday, Saturday and today turned into one big blur and no im defo not normal. I hate myself i hate alcohol i just want to be normal
Welcome to the lovely world of alcoholism. I can't possibly count the number of times I've heard your story from other alcoholics determined to drink like normies. It's not going to happen after 2 weeks, 2 years, or 2 lifetimes. We all wanted to drink like normies. I stubbornly tried to do that for years, constantly getting drunker and drunker. But stubborn doesn't change reality. You sound stubborn too. Now apply that to never taking another drink. Sounds like a bummer, right? Well, it's not, but if you are stubborn enough, you can probably convince yourself that it IS a bummer.

Buzzzt! Incorrect use of personal strength! Penalty 500 yards.

Now it's good to be stubborn, but you've got to apply it to productive behaviors (or is it non-behavior in this case)? What you are failing to see, maybe, is that never taking another drink is freedom from a horrible addiction and a blessing, not a curse. I fully see why some people in AA think it's a miracle. It feels like a miracle. Whatever you call it, I'm not trading it for anymore misery and self loathing, and I'm not taking any more 500 yard penalties.

If it doesn't work and makes yourself miserable, stop doing it. This is a basic logical deduction (or is it an induction)? Whatever, it's quite simple and doesn't require a genius to figure it out.

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
I thought i can be normal, had 2 glasses of wine on Thursday and thought amazing i am normal this is great then Friday, Saturday....
I love this. I just love it. It's absolutely classic and will be repeated as long as man is on the Earth. It could be the "Alcoholic National Anthem" and sung in parades and sports events.