View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
One thing in your original post jumped out at me. You said that a major trigger for you was hearing about how awful your sisters were. For me, I had to distance myself from my mother in order to survive. I didn't completely cut off communication, but phone calls were short and impersonal and visits were rare. Maybe you could consider distancing yourself from your sisters, at least for awhile. Taking care of yourself is the priority.
My younger brother moved across the country to distance himself from my father, my older brother just did everything he could to avoid him. I loved our Dad unconditionally and I became his caretaker until he passed from dementia, but after our Mom died his own depression and bitterness was so great that it drained our emotions and we had to find ways to cope. That was part of my recovery story too, he and I drank to cover up the grief. I was told that after he passed there would come a day when only the sweet memories would remain, and I can say now that it's true.

Last edited by Astro; 09-15-2019 at 07:57 AM.