Old 09-06-2019, 05:07 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
ColoradoRocky

I know I'm repeating myself, but connecting your drinking to what's going on in your life makes continuing to drink almost guaranteed.

I remebering drinking because my car, a Capri, broke down. I drank to celebrate getting a new car. I drank when I pitched a one-hit shut out against the best team in the league because I was so happy; I drank the next week when I gave up nine runs in two innings against the next-to-last team in the league because I f***ed up. I drank because I had no girlfriend; I drank because I had a girlfriend who drank. I drank because work was difficult; I drank when work was meaningless and boring because it was so depressing. I drank because everybody else was drinking, so why not? I drank when I was alone with nothing else to do because the television set was broken. I drank when we got it fixed because I was watching a game and what else are you supposed to do? I drank because I felt like I was wasting my life and talents away. I drank whenever I felt miserable about myself and my life; but I also drank to reward myself for successes.

I remember drinking just because. I vividly remember sitting at the bar and watching my hand reach out for that Pabst Blue Ribbon and thinking, "This stuff is killing me. Why am I doing this?' I remember sitting at the bar and leaving the bottle there, resisting so long it actually got warm, then picking it up anyway. "It's late, nothing else to do, might as well."

Then I had two pathetic Coors drafts with some friends one night and that was it. I stopped drinking. I didn't even know those would be my last drinks. I stopped the next day.