Old 09-06-2019, 06:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
CupofJoe

Like others have said, the steps don't have magical power. Nothing does.

But they can help you open your eyes. I won't say will help you, because it all depends on you.

I was really dismissive of the steps and sneered at them for a long time. I got stuck on the first three steps and kept drinking. I kept saying there was no way I would ever do any of that.

But when I got desperate enough, I decided to give it a try. It wasn't magical. I didn't stop immediately. But over the course of a few months, I got really honest and really started examining my behavior, my perceptions, my resentments, my fears, etc. with the help of my sponsor. And the light bulb went off. (The light bulb is my secular description of a spiritual awakening.)

It's like I woke up and saw what I was doing to myself and those around me. I couldn't pretend to be ignorant any more.

But I had to be open minded and willing to change for the work to do any good.

And now I look back and think, wait all I had to do was admit I was beaten down by alcohol, admit that my thinking was messed up, be willing to apologize to people I had affected, and admit I'm not the center of the universe? That's no big deal. What was I so scared of??

For me, it was like a jolt out of alcoholic thinking into recovered thinking. I couldn't go back to being ignorant. I think that was what was so scary. My addiction was threatened by having the light shining on it.