Old 09-06-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DriGuy

The steps are just another one of many self improvement guides found in every bookstore. Self improvement and paths to contentment are not exclusively the domain of the alcoholic, nor does self improvement depend exclusively on either spiritual or secular means, but everyone does owe it to themselves to grow personally.

I don't think Bill Wilson would approve of calling his particular process of recovery as "magic," but he definitely believed recovery could be obtained through mystical support. Many people prefer the term spiritual over mystical.

However, I did experience my own loss of cravings and the loss of my own desire to drink as something akin to a miracle, because not having the need to drink was so totally foreign to me that I once thought it to be impossible. Of course, I don't see it as an actual miracle. The loss of one's desire to drink, smoke, or do heroine, is exactly the secular description of breaking an addiction. It's exactly what we should expect. Although the emotional impact of the events tend to heighten the perception of the experience greatly. Some may see it as magical. To others it might just be awesome. I doubt that many experience it as trivial, however.