View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
SuficintCrlsns

Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post

I used to always think, “at least I’m not one of those alcoholics” like the guy from Leaving Las Vegas. Well that feels like cold comfort now.
I had a lot of those "I'll never be like that.." moments.

I used to say to myself "If I'm an alcoholic, at least I am functional like my Grandma and not like my alcoholic dad, who couldn't hold a job when he was drinking"

Eventually I became non-functional and my job and marriage was seriously in jeopardy.

When a video of an extremely drunk David Hasselhoff filmed by his daughter eating a hamburger made news quite a few years back, I said to myself "I'll never be like that guy"

Guess what, one of the last nights I drank about nine months ago, my wife said she wanted to film me to show me how ridiculous I was "like the David Hasselhoff video". I realized I had become "that guy".

The fact that she mentioned that video specifically was a powerful moment and in the few times over the past few months where I think "a stiff vodka tonic sounds good right now", I immediately follow that thought with what my wife told me that day.

SC