View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Hodd

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Bimini, I always appreciate your input. Straight truth with no bull. I like that.

I quit drinking at 47 and there is no way I'd see 70 years old the way I was going. It would have been a slow and painful death. Like many there was not a moment of clarity etc....I just got very sick of being a drunk.
Well done, and you’re right. Chatting with a paramedic recently, and he said this:

”You’ll never see an old alcoholic.”

As well as the liver problems - I’m still shocked how grim liver disease is - the risk of cancers such as bowel, breast and throat cancers starts to double even with relatively light drinkers and progressively increases with alcohol intake. For me, that was all the counselling I needed.

I read another forum for liver patients, and a really nice and genuine guy on there had a liver transplant as a result of drinking. He’s in his 60s, and all he knows about his donor is it was a male aged 29. He grieves on a daily basis for the donor and the life he’s not having now. I think it would torment me to my grave to know I’d destroyed my liver through drinking and to then receive a donor liver from someone so young.