Notices

I'm still an alcoholic

Old 08-18-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm still an alcoholic

I can never forget this. My life has settled quite nicely at this point and I was a "reward" drinker. Thus, in my mind I think I deserve to imbibe (not sure Im using that word correctly). I h ave to remain vigilant. Reading this site each day helps with that. I'm still an alcoholic.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’d say we’re all alcoholics in remission.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great reminder for me! I too have the fleeting thought that I might 'deserve a break' or reward. The involuntary thought scares me. The things I do for my sobriety each day, which always include reading or posting a bit here, keep my sanity in line. Much needed post for me today, thanks Jeff!
Old 08-18-2019, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It we have a “reward” for whatever reason, we’ll find another reason the next day and the next.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
It we have a “reward” for whatever reason, we’ll find another reason the next day and the next.
Exactly, I could always find a reason to pour a drink. always.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel the same way. My life has never been better and I have no desire to drink, but coming here gives me a daily reminder that I cannot become complacent. It could all go away with one misstep.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good morning . rewards huh? For me my reward would be the death of me if I drink again. My rewards are endless the greatest reward is my sobriety period! I cherish it . never want it to go away. At 106 days and still plugging away😃
Old 08-18-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Exactly, I could always find a reason to pour a drink. always.
I would tell my wife I’d had a hard day or that I was stressed or I’d tell myself I needed a drink to help me sleep. It’s often the case with heavy drinkers, and it’s absolute nonsense.

I’m afraid to say I had a family tragedy this week, expected but very sad nonetheless. I’m not as upset as I thought I’d be, but I’ll never get to see that person again, and that’s starting to sink in. This would’ve been the one time I would’ve felt ok to take a drink, but I can honestly say having a drink never crossed my mind. I get urges, yes, but not on this occasion.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss, Hodd.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can never forget this. My life has settled quite nicely at this point and I was a "reward" drinker. Thus, in my mind I think I deserve to imbibe (not sure Im using that word correctly). I h ave to remain vigilant. Reading this site each day helps with that. I'm still an alcoholic.
Feeling compelled to use a drug (or any compulsive behavior) arises from important reasons inside people, not from an inanimate bottle or substance!​
If you think about it, you can't get addicted to a substance or a behavior, unless you have learned it does something for you! Addictive behaviors are never random, there is always a reason and a reward. There is always a, "Trigger-Behavior-Reward-Repeat." The important question to ask yourself is, what emotion do I "feel," right before I have that urge and decide to take that drink, do a drug or engage in any compulsive behavior?
Old 08-18-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It always helps to look at it this way:

"Deserve" a drink? You deserve better.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

^that and
Don't forget you suck at it
Old 08-18-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

An alcoholic in continuous recovery here
and honestly being responsible.

Support, care and understanding with you
every step of your journey.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very good reminder. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
^that and
Don't forget you suck at it
THIS^^

I mean, I sucked at it too, but man, thomas11 you had me worried there. Your threads at the end of your drinking were scary and I didn't think you'd ever get sober.

I'm very glad I was wrong.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post

I would tell my wife I’d had a hard day or that I was stressed or I’d tell myself I needed a drink to help me sleep. It’s often the case with heavy drinkers, and it’s absolute nonsense.

I’m afraid to say I had a family tragedy this week, expected but very sad nonetheless. I’m not as upset as I thought I’d be, but I’ll never get to see that person again, and that’s starting to sink in. This would’ve been the one time I would’ve felt ok to take a drink, but I can honestly say having a drink never crossed my mind. I get urges, yes, but not on this occasion.
Very sorry for your loss Hodd. thanks for sharing.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
THIS^^

I mean, I sucked at it too, but man, thomas11 you had me worried there. Your threads at the end of your drinking were scary and I didn't think you'd ever get sober.

I'm very glad I was wrong.
Bimini, I always appreciate your input. Straight truth with no bull. I like that.

I quit drinking at 47 and there is no way I'd see 70 years old the way I was going. It would have been a slow and painful death. Like many there was not a moment of clarity etc....I just got very sick of being a drunk.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think the majority of us on the forum are alcoholics. It's not bad company to have
Old 08-18-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Very sorry for your loss Hodd. thanks for sharing.
Thanks. I guess a moral of this in terms of drinking is to quit when you’re ahead and things are going well (if possible). Hopefully then by the time a stressful situation comes along, you’ll be better equipped to deal with it without alcohol and also less likely to want that drink.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Bimini, I always appreciate your input. Straight truth with no bull. I like that.

I quit drinking at 47 and there is no way I'd see 70 years old the way I was going. It would have been a slow and painful death. Like many there was not a moment of clarity etc....I just got very sick of being a drunk.
Well done, and you’re right. Chatting with a paramedic recently, and he said this:

”You’ll never see an old alcoholic.”

As well as the liver problems - I’m still shocked how grim liver disease is - the risk of cancers such as bowel, breast and throat cancers starts to double even with relatively light drinkers and progressively increases with alcohol intake. For me, that was all the counselling I needed.

I read another forum for liver patients, and a really nice and genuine guy on there had a liver transplant as a result of drinking. He’s in his 60s, and all he knows about his donor is it was a male aged 29. He grieves on a daily basis for the donor and the life he’s not having now. I think it would torment me to my grave to know I’d destroyed my liver through drinking and to then receive a donor liver from someone so young.