Thread: Oh Well Part 2
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 08:03 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Obladi
Life Goes On

Yup, still interested in Refuge Recovery - may even find myself there this Thursday.

The step for this evening's meeting was the 9th - making amends to those I've harmed. And, like you Cos, I again had the thought that working the steps, while meant to be done sequentially for a reason, can simultaneously be fluid. Making amends is something I've learned to do in recent years and am mighty glad for it. If I feel that I may have hurt or offended someone, I try to get that sorted out just as soon as possible.

Character flaws, yeah. I certainly have them and really do try to work on addressing (or at least curtailing them), even while drinking. With drinking in the picture, a whole new set of flaws appear that I don't care about at the time. Sloth, gluttony, selfishness, So as a sober person, are those flaws I need to address? I don't think so (?), because I don't believe they are fundamentally O. I think they are characteristics or manifestations of the beast. Which is not to say those beastly things aren't within me; of course they are. But as a non-drinking person, I don't indulge them with nearly the same vengeance. I definitely don't believe people develop problems with addiction because they are flawed - but I'm not sure the AA founders thought so either.

Eldest called and nothing seemed at all awry. Here I am wailing and gnashing my teeth over the whole situation and she seems to be just fine. Go figure.

Off to bed in preparation for my big morning - first intake for IOP, then meeting with the EAP folks. Wouldn't it be amazing if EAP said, "Looks like you're doing great - you can go back to work tomorrow?" I mean, it could happen...