Thread: Oh Well Part 2
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Cosima11

I know many people may say I'm being ridiculous but even though I consider myself to be pretty spiritual.. I still have issues with the higher power concept. To me it's unequivocally Christian, no matter how you define it.

My issue is that religious and spiritual power hierarchies often translate into political, social, and economic power hierarchies and have been used as a tool of control ever since colonization became a "thing". Seriously, it's what I studied and I have a lot to say about it but that's a can of worms I try not to open around here. Currently watching "The Family" on netflix.

Not sure if you'd still be interested O but I am still curious what Refuge Recovery meetings are like (in which case I should probably just go to one myself). They branched off from AA so there is still a process of "taking inventory" on yourself but it's not centered around character defects and prayers of removal. Also the "steps" or parts of the program don't have to be linear.. sounds about right to me.

Anyway, I would think if you could find a good fit for a sponsor, someone who is understanding of your viewpoints.. "take what you need and leave the rest" could probably apply to the spiritual/religious aspect of AA as well.