Thread: Oh Well Part 2
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Obladi
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by fini View Post
any plans for actually using the suggested program, O?
fini, yes, I think I'd like to give it a go. But. I had some troubles with previous sponsors telling me "do exactly what I tell you to do," when that "to do" isn't in the book. For instance, my last sponsor didn't seem to take me at my word that Step 1 was in the bag. Which is ok; we could've talked through that. But you might remember that she wanted me to write down every single time alcohol had caused trouble in my life. First off, that sounds more in line with Step 4, but isn't even equivalent to that step as I understand it. Secondly, at that time (and maybe now too) it would have been a pretty traumatic exercise, one I would not have been comfortable doing with a lay person.

I heard a regular attendee of the Saturday meeting speak yesterday that I think might be a good candidate for sponsorship. So... yeah, walking through the steps is certainly on my mind.

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
In NYC it's much more common to do the serenity prayer although I've been to a few meetings where the speaker specifically requests the Lord's Prayer. The serenity prayer seems to be a place-holder -- "this doesn't mean anything but we're supposed to kind of pray here, mention of God optional."
I'm not religious, but I've gotten to like the Lord's Prayer quite a bit over the last couple of years. It's simple and very, very humbling.
We start every meeting with the Serenity Prayer. I've no objection to that because I understand the God in this prayer to be universal.

I rather like The Lord's Prayer as well. My objection to saying it in meetings is that it's Christian, therefore clearly religious as well as exclusionary. I was raised Catholic and have grown to be more of an eclectic spiritually, so it's not a personal thing for me. It just seems that I might be put off if I were Buddhist or Muslim or Jewish... And I do take that personally, if that makes sense.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Would you mind getting my yard while you're mowing O? The upper 90 degree temps and 100% humidity have been very off-putting to me for getting yard work done. Even dusk or dawn is sticky right now.
I'd be happy to do it - just send it over FedEx and I'll take care of it tomorrow. It's only 85* with astoundingly low humidity of 35%. It's so very nice to have the windows open all day.