Thread: Newcomer
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
simplyspirited

Newcomer

Hi

I have been "sober curious" I guess you could say for about the last year or so. I 100% am uncomfortable with the amount I (at this point, used to) drink. I have toyed with sobriety for weeks at a time, and of course I feel unstoppable at those times.

This past month has been my most successful. I have only drank 4 times in the last month, which I have not been able to say for the last 11 years or so. The idea of total sobriety is very appealling to me, but I have learned that I cannot do this alone. I get very lonely and feel isolated in my struggle, especially when all I hear is "you're fine! you're being dramatic! you don't have a problem!" Well, I feel that I do, in that I do NOT like what alcohol does to my mental health and relationships, and I truly cannot stop drinking once I start. I'm not someone who can have "a couple beers" or "a glass or two of wine." It doesn't work, and the truth is, I don't WANT to do that. I'm a drinker who drinks to get drunk, to have fun, to feel confident. And I want to do that without the substance.

It has been VERY challenging and lonely for me. I'm hoping to connect with some new people who are in the same mindset as me.

XOXO, simplyspirited