Thread: Recovery
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
entropy1964

Hmmm. Well I don't know your story or his. I don't know what the friends and family forum would say to do.

I only know me. I don't go to AA often, although I have in the past. I don't 'work the program' so to speak. I read daily, here. But I don't read the Big Book or other 'recovery' stuff, really. I don't have a sponsor. I don't know what a worksheet is.

I do think I understand tho what you are saying. There is this idea that AA is some kind of fix....and it can be for those that work the program.

But all this is kind of moot. I get the powerless feeling you must be experiencing. I get trying to understand another person as a means to ease fear and uncertainty. I can imagine how hard this must be for you.

Honestly, if you aren't married to him/have kids I would recommend letting him go until he has a pretty darn secure footing in recovery. What that is or means is really up to him. That probably isn't what you are looking to hear.

I think the more salient question is, what does all this mean for you? What are you doing for you? That is the only part of this equation that you have control over.