View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by LookingBusy View Post
Just looking for perspective. Am I seeing too much hope in this?
He hasn't actually done anything yet except go to one meeting with the counsellor and bring home a bottle of gin a couple of days later (and I'm assuming still drinking every night?).

When someone says:

gin is something he wouldn’t take shots of because it would make him vomit

That's a red flag. Who buys alcohol they don't really care for so they won't over-drink it? Alcoholics or anyone who cannot control their drinking.

So - and this is just my opinion, I wouldn't put any hope or not on what has happened so far, it's really nothing.

In fact without seeing substantial changes (like quitting drinking) you are really just in for more of the same. Nothing changes if nothing changes.

You said in one of your other posts:

I can’t rely on him for simple things.
This is spot on. You cannot rely on him right now. Not for simple things and not for bigger things (like moderating or quitting drinking).

These are tough things to face, I know, who wants to give up hope that their SO cannot break their addiction to alcohol? It's something to be faced though, anything less and you leave yourself wide open for more hurt and disappointment. Your best bet is to focus back on yourself and protect yourself. You are not his keeper you are his partner.

You didn't Cause it, can't Control it and can't Cure it.