View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FallenAngelina

Originally Posted by SmallButMighty View Post
I hope you reach out to all avenues of support. Alanon is absolutely available in Canada ( I'm originally from Canada) meetings can be found in even very small towns. There are other options for support as well. I'd love to see you turn the energy you are spending on his issues on yourself and what's healthy for you instead.
This is a perfect way to describe the purpose of the AlAnon program - to turn the energy we spend on others' issues toward flourishing in our own lives. Doing this in community has many healing purposes, the first being to help lift us out of our propensity to isolate when life gets tough. I, myself, chose to also see a therapist for specific family-of-origin work that was much too personal for me to share in a group, but the community aspect of AlAnon has been a treasure. I'm grateful that I have a place to belong and enjoy kinship with others who totally get it and who mentor healthy living, given our shared love of someone(s) with alcoholism. The community aspect of AlAnon has such a healing quality to it.