View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
trailmix

Absolutely Al-Anon might be helpful, but you can't be sure until you try. I get the whole group setting thing, I'm not entirely comfortable with it either (I have only been to 1 meeting). What I found was a group of really nice people that understood.

You will never be forced to share anything you don't want to, in fact you never have to share your story if you don't want to but eventually you might find that helps you.

I don't know how much you know about alcoholism but alcoholics can never moderate, it's really unheard of. Maybe one in several thousand can? But if you read in the newcomers to recovery section you will find many threads about how it just never works.

Alcoholics don't drink because they like the taste or it's refreshing or it's sociable, they drink to get high, or to feel normal or to get black out drunk. Sure, occasionally they can get away with having 1 or 2, but that will never be the norm, the craving to drink more will be too strong.

As for perspective - when:

"He has not gone full angry A-hole yet and he didn’t drive drunk at all".

Is considered a "plus", that's not something to hang your hopes on.

Speaking of that, what are you hoping for? That he will stop drinking with the help he is going to be receiving?