Thread: Self esteem
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
pdm22

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
pdm22...….regarding your article about self esteem vs. self respect....I can remember reading that same thing in a psychology textbook,in the section on adolescent development, quite a while back......The example that it gave was "school-yard bullies". That they often do have a very favorable opinion of themselves...and, seem to revel in that...
I remember that I was quite surprised to learn that!
It does sound counter-intuitive.....
LOl...I, now, feel motivated to go digging for more on that subject.....
Yup, exactly like that! I don’t know why I can’t seem to find the exact articles I’m thinking of at the moment, but there was also one I read about the self esteem movement in the US (started in 1986), and how they did some global studies later. They found that American teenagers had the highest self esteem regarding their math scores, even though they scored the worst on the tests compared to kids from other countries. Eeeek...and how damaging that can be in the real world, because it really is important to have an accurate assessment of your abilities (coupled with self compassion though).

Stay on your own side of the street and focus on your own character flaws and all of that, but I think we probably all have known someone who was either raised like this, or was just maybe naturally that way, who was basically grandiose for no reason, and it’s no fun when you’re side by side with someone like that at work or something..

(This isn’t it, but this was an interesting one I came across when I was trying to find those articles:

https://filipinofreethinkers.org/201...o-be-assholes/ )