View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
boreas

Itis,
It doesn’t surprise me that you are receiving advice here that contradicts the opinions of some of the Al-anon folks. Having been on both sides of the fence, I agree with the opinions expressed here. You are likely to hear the same from people in recovery, as we know that change must come from within and a “geographic” solution usually doesn’t promote recovery and can actually make things more difficult.

Quitting regular use of any substance is a major life change. Generally speaking, other changes are best postponed. In addition, no matter where they land, an addict who wishes to continue using will find a way. Accepting that there is little a loved one can do to help is one of the great challenges those in Al-anon struggle to accept. The desire to help those you love recover is universal, and it takes careful thought to make sure that those actions are actually helpful.

You obviously care about your boyfriend and want to support him. Ultimately you will make your own choices...I just hope this helps explain why the advice you are hearing here, though different, comes from an equally supportive place.

As an aside, Anvil is spot on with the suggestion that you continue to evaluate what is in your own best interest for the future. All relationships are difficult, and including addiction in the mix makes them more so. We all must continually reevaluate our lives and decisions, as sometimes a change in course is needed.
Best wishes to you both,
-bora