View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 02:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I have sincerely done that, except that it was done for me rather than by me. Like Tomsteve above, I worked the program of AA and in that process the problem was removed. There are a bunch of promises about it int the big book.

IMO, not drinking is a form of controlled drinking. Not drinking just for today often turns out to be just time between drinks.

The AA program is very clear. The spiritual experience resulting from the steps is also described as a change of personality sufficient to overcome alcoholism . It also notes that such a change could hardly have been brought about by ourselves alone. Such an experience comes from a very specific course of action vastly more comprehensive than "just don't drink and go to meetings".

All this is not to say that we should not exercise all our power to avoid the first drink in the early days. It is just that we know our power alone isn't enough and unless we get into action on a program of recovery, our situation will be precarious to say the least.