View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 02:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
snitch

In the early days, weeks and months (I am 14 months sober now) when I wanted to drink (which was everyday!) I would say the serenity prayer over and over (many, many times a day)

God, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change. And I would say out loud, I am an alcoholic and I cannot drink safely or moderately. This is a FACT and I cannot change it.

The Courage to change the things I can... I can change my attitude about alcohol. Instead of romancing it, THINK about the damage it has done to me, the pain it has caused me. One little drink is the SINGLE cause of all my pain and misery. Courage to get to AA meetings, to pick up the phone to another alcoholic, to share how I am feeling. To ask for help.

And the wisdom to know the difference! The difference being what I have control over and what I do not. And i have zero control once I put alcohol in my body.

And now, even though the thoughts are much much less, they still come. I am an alcoholic. Most if the time they are fleeting and I just tell them to do one, but tbe serenity prayer still works!