View Single Post
Old 06-29-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
CRRHCC

Originally Posted by Hope1989 View Post
Hey everyone,

So I haven't posted this week. Shame on me, but well, yeah shame on me lol.

It has been already two weeks since my last binge. From every binge, I learn something new. I am not where I wish I was in my life (especially regarding the drinking part), but I'm much wiser and have more tools to deal with my addiction.

So I have been doing a lot of thinking, literally looking myself in the mirror (chubby but still good looking haha).

Jokes aside, I realized something that was good but painful at the same moment. Even though my responsibilities have increased as I have gotten older, and I kind of have been able to live up to them, I still have the mindset and the mental maturity of a teenager. I'm still an adolescent craving for things that never happened, and probably won't ever happen. A lot of fantasies.

Anyway, just wanted to share that.

All the best,
How true! You can't get addicted to a substance unless you have learned it does something for you. Many of us learned in our teens that the quick fix or mood changer of alcohol helps us escape our feelings. Then we run on auto-pilot all our adult lives with this youthful behavior!

Hopefully with time, when we hurt enough and have to or learn enough and want to, we will change. When we understand the psychological cause of our compulsive drinking we can replace it with other high value behaviors that empower us and help us regain control. Reasons for drinking are driven by emotional factors, usually feelings of helplessness (about whatever in my life makes me feel overwhelmingly trapped).

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things." 1 Corinthians 13:11