View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Stayingsassy

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
What you're saying Sassy is not massively different to Annie Grace in the sense that what's paramount is not letting yourself be conditioned to think that drinking alcohol is in any way a good idea. And being vigilant about recognising when this conditioning is taking place. Watching people have a good time at a party and romanticising about the good times with alcohol is a classic one to look out for. Constantly parsing the reality from your erroneous perception of why they might be having a good time sounds like a very good idea to keep things on the rails. And firmly stating your position both to yourself and others from the outset is all part of that same thinking. I really had a stinking day yesterday but the idea of drinking was not even close to an option. I think that would be more impressive on day 36 than day 6 but I'm still pleased.
That is exactly how you do it, Briansy. I am glad you said “both to yourself and others.”

I realize as I talk about my own sobriety on this forum, I am not just talking to all of you. I am reinforcing my own recovery. I am never cured. The cravings have left me but I have the exact addiction that all of you have, whether you are drinking or sober. I can wake mine up in an instant. I just choose not to. Every time I talk about sobriety leading me, or I tell someone at a party or a bar or band practice “I don’t drink,” I’m also telling myself and with each statement my recovery strengthens.