View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 03:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
honeypig

Glad you went, QT. My first Alanon meeting was a "beginner's meeting", which some areas offer. It's basically a very small meeting with almost equal numbers of old hands and newcomers.

Anyway, I'd been checking online, locating listings for the many meetings around my area (fortunate that way) but had not yet attended one. This particular night, something just gave way and I raced out of the house with barely enough time to make this meeting. As so many do, I cried throughout the meeting, partly in pain and fear and partly in relief to be where I could do so and feel safe doing it.

As the meeting was wrapping up, one of the old hands said "We recently had a donation of some Alanon reading materials and so we'll draw straws now to see who will take home this copy of "How Alanon Works for Families and Friends of Alcoholics." There were 4 or 5 of us newbies there, and I didn't win the draw.

However, the woman who did win looked across the table at me and said "why don't you give the book to her? She looks like she needs it way more than me!" And so I became the grateful owner of that book. I went home clutching my prize and then laid in bed, reading it. I no longer felt so alone, or quite so afraid.

In the time to come, I changed jobs and schedules and so had reason to attend a number of different meetings in my area. That was also a blessing, as I got a chance to see just how much meetings can vary and to choose the ones that were most beneficial for me. I no longer go on a regular basis, but it was a very important part of my earlier recovery. Alanon and SR are a powerful combination for change and healing, IMHO, and I hope you're able to take advantage of both. They changed my life, that's for sure.