View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
WhoDeyPI

New places, new faces.

So this post isn't going to have any profound meaning or emotional revelation, I just experienced a few things over the weekend and wanted to write about it. Hope ya'll don't mind, and if you do, move along!

Part of my sober journey is staying active, self improvement, and trying new things. After losing 38 lbs, I hit a bit of a plateau with weight loss, and decided that maybe I needed to add something to my routine.

With that on my mind, I had someone mention to me that they don't think I could do a "spin class" without ending up in the hospital. Those not familiar with such a class....it is basically indoor stationary bikes, and is supposed to be a really intense non-stop workout. The "studio" close to me is called CycleBar (how appropriate).

So, challenge accepted. I got on the CycleBar website, and signed up for their 930 am class Saturday morning. Filled with anxiety, I set my alarm for 8, and got to class a half hour early. Completed that class, was drenched in sweat, could barely walk, and was visibly shaking from overexertion. I limped next door to the fresh juice bar, and sat down to have breakfast.

OKAY. So here's where the story gets interesting. I was sitting there, and the owner of CycleBar came in and asked me if he could sit with me. I said sure, whats up? In a nutshell he just wanted to make sure I wasn't dying, because he didn't want to get sued. But then he opened up a bit....

He said...."Not to get personal, but I used to weigh 330 lbs...I have cirrhosis of the liver, am a recovering alcoholic, and founded this studio to take my mind off drinking" ....I thought whoa, no way, what are the chances....

He went on..."I was 96 days sober, and was doing great, but relapsed on Thursday because I was on a date and didn't want the girl to think I was weird. I feel really bad about drinking, but am starting back over on day 1...".

So I then opened up about my journey, which was eerily similar to his. We ended up talking for over an hour. He gave me his number and asked me if I would mind being his "sponsor" and vice versa. I agreed. He then said that he is interested in going to a meeting, but hasn't wanted to go alone. I agreed that I would go with him whenever he needs it.

I made a connection with him, and it was an in-person connection that I think I have been missing. Talking to someone face to face that truly understands what I'm going through. I believe God wanted me at that cycling class, and wanted me to meet him. Looking at him, I would've thought he was a successful 40 year old business owner, living the dream. I would have never guessed the pain that was behind his eyes.

Anyway. New places, new faces. Always good. Day 293 for me....always moving forward, never back. Cheers.