Notices

New places, new faces.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New places, new faces.

So this post isn't going to have any profound meaning or emotional revelation, I just experienced a few things over the weekend and wanted to write about it. Hope ya'll don't mind, and if you do, move along!

Part of my sober journey is staying active, self improvement, and trying new things. After losing 38 lbs, I hit a bit of a plateau with weight loss, and decided that maybe I needed to add something to my routine.

With that on my mind, I had someone mention to me that they don't think I could do a "spin class" without ending up in the hospital. Those not familiar with such a class....it is basically indoor stationary bikes, and is supposed to be a really intense non-stop workout. The "studio" close to me is called CycleBar (how appropriate).

So, challenge accepted. I got on the CycleBar website, and signed up for their 930 am class Saturday morning. Filled with anxiety, I set my alarm for 8, and got to class a half hour early. Completed that class, was drenched in sweat, could barely walk, and was visibly shaking from overexertion. I limped next door to the fresh juice bar, and sat down to have breakfast.

OKAY. So here's where the story gets interesting. I was sitting there, and the owner of CycleBar came in and asked me if he could sit with me. I said sure, whats up? In a nutshell he just wanted to make sure I wasn't dying, because he didn't want to get sued. But then he opened up a bit....

He said...."Not to get personal, but I used to weigh 330 lbs...I have cirrhosis of the liver, am a recovering alcoholic, and founded this studio to take my mind off drinking" ....I thought whoa, no way, what are the chances....

He went on..."I was 96 days sober, and was doing great, but relapsed on Thursday because I was on a date and didn't want the girl to think I was weird. I feel really bad about drinking, but am starting back over on day 1...".

So I then opened up about my journey, which was eerily similar to his. We ended up talking for over an hour. He gave me his number and asked me if I would mind being his "sponsor" and vice versa. I agreed. He then said that he is interested in going to a meeting, but hasn't wanted to go alone. I agreed that I would go with him whenever he needs it.

I made a connection with him, and it was an in-person connection that I think I have been missing. Talking to someone face to face that truly understands what I'm going through. I believe God wanted me at that cycling class, and wanted me to meet him. Looking at him, I would've thought he was a successful 40 year old business owner, living the dream. I would have never guessed the pain that was behind his eyes.

Anyway. New places, new faces. Always good. Day 293 for me....always moving forward, never back. Cheers.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's awesome! Life is so interesting how it puts people in front of us (for good or for bad) at exactly the right time.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Truly amazing and inspirational story. It's good to keep the good going. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a great post! I'm glad things continue to go well for you! I love cycling too!
Keep up the great work!
Old 06-17-2019, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's wild,man. Sounds like Providence intervened in your life and his.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, what a great experience!
Old 06-17-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kinda like Bill W. and Dr. Bob v. 2.0
Old 06-17-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you were in the right spot at the right time

D
Old 06-17-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I love it, WhoDey! I'm so glad you told us what happened.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, this really is a miracle. Thank you for sharing this. That is awesome how you were in the right place at the right time to really be a life saver for him. I love how our struggles and shame can be just what helps someone else.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great share!
Old 06-18-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wonderful !!! Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

That's a great story.

A friend of mine with lots of sobriety and AA under his belt always says - nothing is a coincidence in God's world. I scoffed at that for a long time, because I'm not a religious person and I didn't really believe that "God" has a plan all worked out for each and every one of us.

However. Enough things have happened in my life and in the lives of others in the years since I started my sobriety journey that can't really be explained by coincidence that I do believe that somehow, things do happen for a reason. The flow of the universe, or just that we are paying more attention to these things? Seeing the miracles for a change? Finding the miracles in everyday events? I don't know. But I do know that my faith is stronger than ever that there's a force at work of some kind. Higher power, for sure.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow! That's an amazing story! Congratulations on your continued sobriety and for pushing yourself to optimal physical heath! I really admire that! I still havent started exercising and havent stopped smoking and im feeling the effects of these. That sounds like a God thing to me. I'm so glad you've met someone you can support and encourage and vice versa! 🤗
Old 06-18-2019, 11:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What are the chances indeed!! How cool of a story.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just signed up for my second class this Saturday morning. I'd honestly like to go sooner, but I'm still having trouble walking. My thighs are in so much pain...but good pain! The only way to improve is to keep trying!
Old 06-18-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great story! And hopefully an awesome sober....FRIEND.

It jumped out at me that you said sponsor each other. That's not how it works- and you guys are in very different places. I'd strongly suggest against jumping into a situation where y'all think you can sponsor each other....he's coming off a relapse and has previous time and experience to share....but he needs some stuff now that is different than what you need as a some with 293 days.....also - around here, usually a yr of sobriety is the marker for doing so. Even if it's not where you are, it's a pretty good idea to give yourself that time. And, he shouldn't be sponsoring anyone, the way the program is laid out here in terms of sponsorship.

If I've missed some posts by you, WDP, forgive me if I'm off a bit here- but the co-sponsor thing isn't a good idea (and I'm not sure how it would even work, really). If you are already working with a sponsor and moving along thru the steps, then this sounds like an awesome opportunity to learn from someone and vice versa and help each other as sober friends.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Great story! And hopefully an awesome sober....FRIEND.

It jumped out at me that you said sponsor each other. That's not how it works- and you guys are in very different places. I forget what (if) you are doing in AA? I'd strongly suggest against jumping into a situation where y'all think you can sponsor each other....he's coming off a relapse and has LOTS of time and experience to share....but he needs some stuff now that is different than what you need as a newcomer.....

If I've missed some posts by you, WDP, forgive me if I'm off a bit here- but the co-sponsor thing isn't a good idea (and I'm not sure how it would even work, really).
I assumed he was just using the sponsor term interchangeably with "sober friend", but maybe I am wrong to make that assumption. I do not "work the steps" and have not attended AA in the past, but am not opposed to giving it a whirl. He mentioned that he has attended meetings in the past, and would like to attend more. I guess I need to clarify.

I do not really see myself as a "newcomer" anymore. I don't know if "newcomer" has a set definition....I just post on this section because I'm comfortable with the people here.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think all that matters is that you commit to a date and time and you all head out to a meeting. Take it a meeting at a time. I remember your sharing not too awfully long ago that you were contemplating attending a meeting anyways. Your new friend needs your help right now. And just think, because you're sober and have been for quite a few 24 hours, you can help another suffering alcoholic. Thank you for sharing this.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
I assumed he was just using the sponsor term interchangeably with "sober friend", but maybe I am wrong to make that assumption. I do not "work the steps" and have not attended AA in the past, but am not opposed to giving it a whirl. He mentioned that he has attended meetings in the past, and would like to attend more. I guess I need to clarify.

I do not really see myself as a "newcomer" anymore. I don't know if "newcomer" has a set definition....I just post on this section because I'm comfortable with the people here.
Yep, lots to clarify there. Presumably, he would use the word sponsor as it is meant in AA. Hope he can be a good friend, and perhaps you will find that AA is indeed a good addition to your sober life.