View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 05:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
tomsteve

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
What is sad to me about these folks is that IMO they could be so much more effective in spreading the AA message if they just quietly lived the AA program by example and stopped all the horn blowing. But I don't expect this will change. They are who they are. This is not unique to AA. IME every group has it's over dedicated fanatics. Since this is a universal trait of human groups I accept it as something I cannot change and I do not use it as an excuse to avoid the AA recovery program. YMMV.
reminds me of reading how bill w got discouraged early on. lots of talking to alkies with no success. he went back to doc silkworth to talk to him about it. explained to doc what and how he was doing. doc told bill,"quit preaching."
then he went on a business trip to akron.

i think there are quite a few AA thumpers that miss one short paragraph on pg 19 of the BB:
None of us makes a sole vocation of this work, nor do we think its effectiveness would be increased if we did. We feel that elimination of our drinking is but a beginning. A much more important demonstration of our principles lies before us in our respective homes, occupations and affairs. All of us spend much of our spare time in the sort of effort which we are going to describe. A few are fortunate enough to be so situated that they can give nearly all their time to the work.