Old 06-05-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Sleepyhollo

Also, marriage counseling with an active addict is not very useful.
Likelihood of success is impossible to predict. Relapse rates are pretty high. It all depends on how committed they are, what sort of program they work and if they continue to work it. Because of my ex’ job he is monitored very closely for 5 years. His chance at staying sober is pretty high at least at 5 years. But the stats they
showed us at rehab are somewhat discouraging for continued sobriety after 1 year for a lot of people. And it has a lot to do with resources people have after they get out of rehab and how committed they are to continue to work it. And his level of commitment might be really high at first but could soon disappear. Impossible to predict unfortunately. If only we had a crystal ball.
Willingness to quit drinking, mine did that several times. The second to last time he even told me he realized he could never drink again. That didn’t last....
If you are having doubts so close to the wedding, I think that says a lot. He isnt magically going to change in 6 weeks and even if he did there is no way to know if it will stick.
My ex is sober and overall doing well, but he isn’t the person that I feel in love with. We both have changed a lot, and for me that was to the point I could not stay in the marriage. People change when they get sober and it may or may not be what you like.