View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
For me I used to be so annoyed when I would be asked the question, what's the plan? Now I see that it is essential to getting and staying sober. Sheer will-power can work, but you want ideas and techniques and decisions already made for you when the beast comes calling. AA? AVRT?
THAT.

I was annoyed when asked "what's the plan?"
I was annoyed when asked "when was your last drink?"
I was annoyed when asked "what time will you be home?"

I was annoyed.....that I had a problem and couldn't bring myself to start dealing with it.

It's one of those repeated questions - what's the plan- that is absolutely critical for us to answer. And the options are 1) I don't have one (worst answer) 2) I might be doing [xyz] but I'm not sure (bad answer and really the same as the first one) or 3) I decided on one, and I'm going to learn that life and be sober no matter what.

It's up to you - and there is a lot of help here and IRL that I can promise you will stop annoying you as you get well, your mind clears, you see what the good a sober life WILL bring...and so on.

You've mentioned some new choices that are indeed GREAT to and supportive of starting a sober life. Dude, eat the junk food or ice cream (still a "thing" w me at 3+ yrs ). go to any place that helps you not drink, or be around booze, or distract you til bedtime, so on. Those are things I had to ADD to my base program (I'm in AA). Eventually you can make a life where the good choices are nearly automatic, nearly all the time! AND, you've got that base program of choice that helps you self-correct when you don't want to make the right choice.

You've got a week (and change, now?) and can turn that into a life. In AA, we talk about gaining "hope, and a future." That is indeed what taking the terrifying chance on sobriety has brought me, and keeps sustaining me as I keep going.

And I'm 100000% not trying to annoy you.