Old 05-31-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
one more thing,resentment is not my number one offender today.....it used to be

my complanceity or laziness is, that leads me to resentment
I played with that one in my head for the better part of probably two years. I was taught (challenged?) to take things that I really disliked (and things I really liked, as well) and super-dig-into them, over time, take them into prayer, the whole deal. The idea is to continually try, to put myself in a position where all or at least most of my ideas are set aside and whatever truth might be there becomes apparent to me. Typically, the first dozen or more beliefs I have are quite biased, even though I'm not conscious of it at the time.

Complacence and laziness have been at or near the top of my list for a long time. You know, that list of defects that I just can't seem to overcome with much consistency. Also, they seem to be on that other list of defects I've continually asked, begged and even demanded God remove. Here again, I don't see much progress - well certainly not as much as I want (demand, think I NEED, believe I require to be happy? ).

Where I am with it now is looking to where the complacency and laziness stem from. And in that search, I keep landing on selfishness and a huge helping of self-centeredness. And that's definitely (I believe) not because Bill wrote that those are the root of our problem..... but they're just what I keep finding as the damn source for soooooo many of the things i find so unpleasant and ultimately painful in my life. What I tend to see though, is when I'm experiencing a this pain, and doing so over an extended period of time, I start to act out on others. You can bet your bottom dollar that in this state, mistrust and disrespect are starting to rise, I start to focus on differences, I start to really dislike a whole bunch of ppl - even hate some of em - and this is what I believe is the practice of resentment.

Man oh man, when I'm working those resentment muscles they grow strong amazingly quick. It's scary to me, how quickly I rocket off the spiritual beam and go right back into that old life in a spiritual void....... not drinking.... but living and practicing soooooo many of the most reprehensible parts of active addiction. I don't know I'd say the resentment was the source, but I do think that's the mechanism I employ that takes me out.