Old 05-30-2019, 05:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Troubledone

My heart goes out to you - and - what I am going to say may sound harsh, but if you want to break the pattern you describe above, it will take some introspection.

I have seen this same pattern with so many people - it goes something like...

1, A person "needs" a relationship.
2. They meet someone and before they can observe enough of their behavior to know what they are dealing with, they jump into the "relationship" 100% . I put that in quotes because you can't really have a relationship with someone you don't really know yet, but hurting or needy people will manufacture in their mind who they think the other person is (fantasy) and then act accordingly.
3. Both people start being who they really are - and if they are the type to jump into a relationship, engage in so much drama in the first 3 weeks, etc., it usually gets weird - drama, manipulation, clinging (both) and then backing off/blocking. It is all very exciting and gives people a sense of drama, but it is not sustainable.
4. This goes on until either one of the people meets someone else (cheating is often part of this drama) or gets tired of the game.
5. People are hurt, they "need" a relationship and it repeats.

There is only one way to avoid this. Get to know the person before you jump in bed with them, over invest your time or money or start living your life around them. And - this pattern is almost always "learned" by dysfunction in family of origin - so maybe consider therapy.

There is a saying - The one constant in all your failed relationships is you. Not to be harsh, but if this is a pattern, then only you can break it.

When you posted that you met him to "meet his need" I felt very sad for you - how sad that in three weeks you think you owe him that!

My prayer for you is that you get help for yourself. Until you develop some self-esteem and strength, you will always attract "little boy takers" and manipulative men.

When you get into a relationship that is manipulative, it is helpful to ask yourself - what am I manipulating to get? Maybe that "meeting his need" is really to meet your need for relationship, affection, approval, etc... but it's not a very satisfying way when the real need is something inside you that cannot be satisfied in that way.

Real men want to date real women who respect themselves. Everything else is a game.

If I sound a little harsh, it is because I have seen my nieces fall into this same pattern - and they add to the trouble by getting pregnant and then the trouble doubles, their children live in dysfunction and the pattern continues.

You are over 40 - time to think about if you want this to continue for your whole life.

Prayers you find the clarity to create a better life for yourself.