Thread: First post
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 06:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by rick2019 View Post
I don’t subscribe to the ‘lifelong disease’ model; not if you to the point where you are no longer dis-eased by it!
I haven't kept up with the current literature, but 20 years ago the disease concept was still in dispute. The AMA did include it on their disease list, but not without criticism from those who claimed it was done so Doctors could get paid by insurance. I never understood why the label was necessary. Doctors treat broken legs, which are not a disease, and insurance pays for it. Disease or not, whatever alcoholism is, it's life threatening and accounts for a huge amount of absences at the work place. Labels don't change the recommended courses of action, although it may open the door to government funded research.

Is alcoholism lifelong? There is a general consensus that it is, with but a minority of knowledgeable skeptics. I can't speak from personal experience, so I don't know if I could now start drinking normally. And based on general consensus, it's not worth the risk of finding out. I personally believe (not the same thing as knowledge) that it is lifelong, because I've heard enough stories of old timers taking up the bottle after 25 years, and not being able to quit again. Also, I have no desire to drink anymore, so even experimenting wouldn't provide me any enjoyment. It maybe that some alcoholics can return to normal drinking. But has something changed that one would expect a different outcome? One might hope (not the same thing as an actual result) to drink normally again, but I doubt that it's in the cards for most alcoholics.